Sunday, January 3, 2010

Worries about being out of my element

I was just now thinking about how every time I begin a new phase in my education, I worry about being out of my element and not knowing what I am doing there.  When I left high school, I had graduated salutatorian and was part of the group at the very top of intellectual and extracurricular achievement.  But when I entered my first Introductory Biology class at DU, I was suddenly humbled and taken aback by the achievements of the other pre-meds in my class.  Seriously, some of these kids had done cancer research internships with their spare time during high school.  I was suddenly no longer at the top, but in the middle of a bunch of some really smart people.  But, as the quarter waged on, I settled into my niche and realized that I could definitely tackle college academics.  I ended up graduating with honors, and again, left near the top of achievement in the bio. dept.

Now, I am only four and a half months away from starting PA school, and I find myself worrying again about no longer being able to find my footing and being out of my element.  I am so insanely excited about starting school, and finally being at the stage in my education where I am learning about how to practice medicine, but at the same time, I am scared s***less.  I worry about not remembering the stuff I learned in undergrad, being able to master the complexities of Gross Anatomy or Pharmacology, and learning to find that balance between academia and time for myself that I found during undergrad.

Just some thoughts as I sit here finishing the last of my acceptance paperwork and battle some insomnia....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Worries about being out of my element

I was just now thinking about how every time I begin a new phase in my education, I worry about being out of my element and not knowing what I am doing there.  When I left high school, I had graduated salutatorian and was part of the group at the very top of intellectual and extracurricular achievement.  But when I entered my first Introductory Biology class at DU, I was suddenly humbled and taken aback by the achievements of the other pre-meds in my class.  Seriously, some of these kids had done cancer research internships with their spare time during high school.  I was suddenly no longer at the top, but in the middle of a bunch of some really smart people.  But, as the quarter waged on, I settled into my niche and realized that I could definitely tackle college academics.  I ended up graduating with honors, and again, left near the top of achievement in the bio. dept.

Now, I am only four and a half months away from starting PA school, and I find myself worrying again about no longer being able to find my footing and being out of my element.  I am so insanely excited about starting school, and finally being at the stage in my education where I am learning about how to practice medicine, but at the same time, I am scared s***less.  I worry about not remembering the stuff I learned in undergrad, being able to master the complexities of Gross Anatomy or Pharmacology, and learning to find that balance between academia and time for myself that I found during undergrad.

Just some thoughts as I sit here finishing the last of my acceptance paperwork and battle some insomnia....

No comments:

Post a Comment