Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hating (looming) endings, and moving forward

I officially only have 1 week left in Ob/Gyn, and am absolutely dreading the end.  Usually, endings are just that....endings (or, new beginnings, whichever way you look at them).  But, what really makes this one poignant, is that incredible amount of learning and growth I have done during this short month, and the things I have accomplished.  I have found my niche clinically, and would like nothing more than to stay where I am, to continue learning what I'm learning, and have that amazing feeling that comes from the daily reinforcement of being exactly where I'm supposed to be professionally and personally, and know that what I'm doing matters.  I have to give so much credit to my amazing preceptor, who has made this rotation an amazing, full-throttle adventure, and given me so many reasons to be thankful for the time and energy he has spent investing in my training.  I have gained clinical pearls to use in practice, new surgical techniques, and life lessons that I will carry with me and use for the rest of my life.  I also enjoyed enormous respect and patience from my preceptor and his partner; both of them never made me feel as though I was "just" a student.  I was able to engage in conversations and question why things are done a certain way in practice, and they actively probed my mind to force me to think about why I do/say/teach my patients a certain way.  I know that I am a better provider because of this month, and I only hope I can re-pay the immense gift I have been given with their teaching by emulating their styles in my own practice. 

This is also the first time that I (seriously) began realizing that the job hunt is near.  Mostly because I am realizing just how enormous the task in front of me seems....especially since only 3-4% of practicing PAs end up practicing in Ob/Gyn....aka my job hunt will be long and difficult.  In addition to the academic/practice-based things I have learned this rotation, I also gained a very solid idea of what will be absolutely essential to me when I practice, and the things I will be looking for in a job and supervising physician.  For now, I have several surgeries, C-sections, and hopefully a few more vaginal deliveries between now and next Friday, and I am hoping to soak up every possible clinical pearl and patient encounter before then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hating (looming) endings, and moving forward

I officially only have 1 week left in Ob/Gyn, and am absolutely dreading the end.  Usually, endings are just that....endings (or, new beginnings, whichever way you look at them).  But, what really makes this one poignant, is that incredible amount of learning and growth I have done during this short month, and the things I have accomplished.  I have found my niche clinically, and would like nothing more than to stay where I am, to continue learning what I'm learning, and have that amazing feeling that comes from the daily reinforcement of being exactly where I'm supposed to be professionally and personally, and know that what I'm doing matters.  I have to give so much credit to my amazing preceptor, who has made this rotation an amazing, full-throttle adventure, and given me so many reasons to be thankful for the time and energy he has spent investing in my training.  I have gained clinical pearls to use in practice, new surgical techniques, and life lessons that I will carry with me and use for the rest of my life.  I also enjoyed enormous respect and patience from my preceptor and his partner; both of them never made me feel as though I was "just" a student.  I was able to engage in conversations and question why things are done a certain way in practice, and they actively probed my mind to force me to think about why I do/say/teach my patients a certain way.  I know that I am a better provider because of this month, and I only hope I can re-pay the immense gift I have been given with their teaching by emulating their styles in my own practice. 

This is also the first time that I (seriously) began realizing that the job hunt is near.  Mostly because I am realizing just how enormous the task in front of me seems....especially since only 3-4% of practicing PAs end up practicing in Ob/Gyn....aka my job hunt will be long and difficult.  In addition to the academic/practice-based things I have learned this rotation, I also gained a very solid idea of what will be absolutely essential to me when I practice, and the things I will be looking for in a job and supervising physician.  For now, I have several surgeries, C-sections, and hopefully a few more vaginal deliveries between now and next Friday, and I am hoping to soak up every possible clinical pearl and patient encounter before then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment